Monday, January 12, 2009

Um, what are we doing?

Our lives are screwed up, did you know that? Everything in this world just keeps us away from our goal of perfection. Like to watch t.v? Like to read? Sleep? Play an instrument? Play video games? We live in a world of entertainment and self-satisfaction. Have you realized yet that all these things do is stop us from accomplishment? And I mean spiritual accomplishment mainly. Do we serve others? --No, maybe later, my show is about to start. Do we visit someone who is lonely? ---I am too tired, maybe when I have energy(which we know never happens). Do we really study and increase our testimonies? --I am working on other goals right now. And on it goes. Everything we do, is just something to get in the way of doing important things that ETERNALLY matter. The worst part is, I know it, but habit is so strong, I can't seem to act. So I go in this pointless cycle. I entertain myself, try to do something that matters, give up, entertain myself. Months later, I haven't improved in the slightest and all that time has been wasted.
Don't worry, I am not giving up. Recognition is the first step right?

4 comments:

The Boswells said...

AMEN sister! I have decided to take baby steps to help with this problem. I'm going to buy just a little bit more and take it to the food bank. Gather clothes and coats maybe tolietries and take them to the homeless shelters. I also have scraps of material everywhere so I'm going to try and finish one quilt a month (or 2 months) Maybe with just a few baby steps I can then take some big ones and who knows I may even realize the world isn't revolving around me...

Syl said...

It is ok to have down time. "It is not requisite to walk faster than we have strength" I liked Jen's idea of baby steps...that works for me and even though much of my time is spent resting, I get a lot done and am progressing just fine. It is often the quality of the time not just the quantity that is useful

Anonymous said...

Like to watch t.v? (General Conference) Like to read? (the B.O.M.) Sleep? (our Bodies are temples...our bodies require sleep) Play an instrument? (Music invites the spirit) Play video games? (nothing more holy than the wii)

Leslie said...

Playing an instrument is often a way to serve others and develop talents, right? At least in your case for sure. :)
I think what you are getting at is how do we find balance in our lives, and you are so dead on. How do we progress in life when we are so busy doing things, often good things. How do I find time (and energy) to read scriptures when I am overwhelmed every second of the day with kids? Oh you are right with baby steps. I'm glad I'm not the only one.